Our Favorite Instagrammers – @beingtian
Name: David Tian
Instagram Name: @beingtian
Amount of followers: 2243
Occupation: Ex-Research Assistant. Unemployed
Hey my name’s David! I’m a recent university graduate stateside. Japanese clothing addict. The thing that keeps me going is the potential next step in my life. Always excited for what’s to come. A city guy, but I love national park environments the most. Besides raw denim, photography is my baby. I’m also an avid gamer and appreciate a good lifting session.
Before the questions, I want to thank Robin for reaching out! It’s always sweet to be involved and Robin is surely a pillar to the raw denim community.
Why do you share your outfits? And why Instagram?
I share my outfits because I can combine two of my favourite hobbies, fashion and photography. Instagram lets me build a personal portfolio as well as connect with others. Who knew friendships could be made off Insta?
What makes your Instagram feed so special?
I try to challenge the boundaries on what is considered normal. But who doesn’t? I think what really makes each feed special is that you have the opportunity to express yourself and enjoy the experience.
3. Where does your inspiration come from?
I get tons of inspiration from accounts on Instagram, people in my life, and from personal experiences.
Where does your love for denim come from? When did it start?
It’s just been under a year for my raw denim addiction. I was introduced to raws through my friend, Kevin. Absolutely a little hesitant at first, but seeing the potential fades results and visiting Mild Blend Supply Co. of Chicago put the nail in the coffin. Then you combine that with making more friends who share similar interests and you got yourself some great memories to come.
Your top 3 favorite (denim)brands?
In no specific order:
- Samurai Jeans – The name is sweet! Their fabric is insane. A really nice texture. Fades fast! They made my first pair that I’ve worn in.
- The Flat Head – Amazing attention to detail. Dark shade of Indigo which leads to high contrast fades. Also their hardware eventually rusts which is cool. Their non-denim selection is well made too.
- Iron Heart – I think their construction is the toughest. The go to for heavy weight fabric. Their denim jackets also have hand warmer pockets.
6. What is your favorite accessory?
Probably my phone hehe. But no, my Barton Goods natural leather wallet is holding up very well. The leather has darkened quite a bit too. I haven’t been accessorizing lately though.
7. What items do you wear the most at the moment?
- Bape Shark Hoodie – I love Bape, the shark is super wacky. You can zip it up all the way for no reason. Oh and it’s indigo dyed. ·
- Any 3sixteen button up I own – Really nice fit and I love the look. ·
- My Samurai 710xx – I want those juicy fades. ·
- Boots – Either my Oak Streets or Vibergs. They are very versatile and look good. ·
- Adidas – When I’m not feeling boots, I’ll slip on some Adidas Nmds/Ultraboosts for comfort.
What is your favorite shop? And what is your favorite webstore?
Brick and Mortar, Mild Blend Supply Co. Sweet home Chicago, nice selection, and the staff is super friendly and knowledgeable. Blue Owl of Seattle is the bomb for the same reasons.
My favourite webstore is definitely Okayama Denim. It’s cool to get Japanese denim straight from the source. On a more practical note, they have excellent customer service, great selection, free hemming services, and a competitive price point.
Do you care about the production process?
Absolutely. I think clothing should be made to last. In order for that to hold true, there should be no short cuts in the process. If that leads to a more expensive product, so be it! You’ll get a better long term return. And then there’s the ethics side with fair compensation and working conditions.
What are your dreams for the future?
Realistically, I want a career that I enjoy that lets me live comfortably. Then maybe I can start a photography business or be freelance. The ultimate dream is to be a fashion photographer like Lara Jade.